It’s easy to become absorbed in our work without much thought to the environment around us. But it is our very surroundings that can sometimes be detrimental to our office productivity and wellbeing.
But that doesn’t have to be the case. If you work in a corporate office, there are many changes you can make to cultivate a fruitful and friendly work environment:
1. Hang some artwork: keep it simple with some branded materials, or get a bit zany with some motivational posters or your favourite Picasso print!
2. Brighten up the place with some flowers and other plant life (just don’t forget to water them!)
3. Lighten up the place with extra lamps or light boxes. Choose daylight bulbs or specialist light therapy boxes for bright, near-natural light that’s easy on the eyes.
4. Clear your desk and your mind by decluttering and ditching printed paperwork. Recycle anything you already have in soft copy. Make this a daily habit to keep you distraction-free while you work.
5. Employ subtle scents to improve your mood. If candles or incense will cause conflict in the office, use essential oils to keep you calm and productive throughout the day.
6. Purge the office cupboards and filing cabinets: if you discover anything you don’t need, get rid. If there are items you only require once a year or less, archive them.
7. Improve air quality with air filters, open windows and indoor plants.
9. Get ergonomic: prevent RSI and joint pain by purchasing wrist and foot rests, laptop stands, ergonomic keyboards and anything else that keeps you comfortable at your desk.
10. Update your furniture for your comfort and safety. Your old desks and chairs can be environmentally recycled.
11. Eliminate your junk drawer: you know the one. That place you put all the stuff you think you need, but in reality never use. Clear your junk drawer and don’t let anything back in that you don’t use regularly.
12. Help keep office illness to a minimum by dusting your desktop and IT peripheries regularly. If possible, do this last thing on a Friday, unless you want the whole office sneezing!
Moving office or simply in need of a declutter? Pickfords Business Solutions offers a wide range of services for modern organisations, including porterage and churn, IT relocation, furniture recycling and storage. Call us on 0845 130 6559, email email@example.com or enquire online for more information.